Spring Floods Start: New Brunswick Battles Worst in Decades
by Yvonne von Jena | May 4, 2018
According to the Globe and Mail, rising floodwaters across New Brunswick have caused evacuations, property damage, and the closing of a large section of the Trans-Canada highway between Moncton and Fredericton. Even the powerful tides of the Bay of Fundy are not able to beat them back.
Premier Brian Gallant said that the province is, “seeing weather events like we have never seen before” on Thursday afternoon. So far, roughly 100 homes have been evacuated, affecting about 260 people. The flooding, which began earlier this week is hitting the following areas:
“This is most likely going to end up being the largest, most impactful flood that we have ever recorded here in New Brunswick, so it certainly puts … all of our resources and people to the test,” said Geoffrey Downey of the Emergency Measures Organization.
The problem has been exacerbated − and the water level forecast has risen − due to heavy rains overnight Thursday into Friday, which has also added to the misery of those placing sand bags around their homes in an effort to hold floodwaters at bay.
“The problem is we’re venturing into uncharted territory,” he said on Thursday. “Who knows how far it’s going to go up, so how many homes is it now going to reach?”
Residents along southern regions of the Saint John River basin have been advised to be on “high alert” as water levels were forecasted to increase in several areas including Quispamsis, Saint John and several smaller communities.
“There is still snow in northern regions, which will contribute to sustained flows as it melts,” officials said.